Education can be described as the practice of learning and impacting skills and knowledge into students. Education is the main way of establishing a literate and well informed society. Education systems around the world are different though the goal is the same.
Concept of education
The basic concept of education is to equip human beings with the necessary tools that will enable them to develop mentally, physically, emotionally and intellectually.
Education does not only meaning gaining intellectual knowledge from school. One can acquire knowledge through other sources like personal experiences. Education is very important in shaping a person’s future life. It is also the tool by which we can change our society and develop our countries. Education does not come to an end. It is a lifelong process and no one person can acquire all the education in the world. We all get to acquire new insights and information every day.
Types of education
- Formal education is the type of education that is found in schools and other academic institutions. This type of education runs all the way form nursery or kindergarten to the university or college. Formal education is passed down to students through teachers. It is the education that is needed for career advancement.
- Informal education is the type of education that does not take place within the confines of an academic institution. It is the type of education that is not planned for and does not follow a curriculum. Informal education includes the basic life teachings we get from parents, friends and the community.
- Non-formal education is the type of education that is more practical and is used to impact basic skills to students. This may include literacy education programs for adults and courses like fitness courses and sports programs.
Importance of education
- Acquiring education enables people to gain respect in the society. This is because education is the first step towards having a successful and more fulfilled life.
- Education also enables people to acquire jobs in the future that will earn them enough income. Educated people get higher paying jobs than those who are not educated.
- Education is also a step in reducing the dependency ratios. And educated person is more self-dependent in terms of finances and in terms of making decisions.
- Education is also important in boosting one’s confidence levels. Educated people are more self-confident due to the recognition they gain from the society.
- Education also helps in increasing the literacy levels. Through education, one is able to gain basic skills that include reading and writing.
- Education also helps in growing the economies of nations. This is because educated people contribute to the economy through the incomes they get from their jobs and their businesses.
- Another importance of education is that it helps in the growth of the society. Those who are educated contribute more towards the development of their communities.
Education system in India
Due to the large population of the country, India has one of the largest education system in the world. There are over seven hundred thousand schools in the country. Many of the students start school at the age of five years. They get enrolled into preschool and they can then advance to primary school when they attain the age of six years. Students stay enrolled in school until they attain the age of fourteen years after which advancing to higher levels of education.
The basic subjects in primary school are mathematics, science, history, physical education, art and language arts. Primary school runs until grade eight.
Secondary school education then runs form grade nine to grade twelve. There is lower secondary and upper secondary. In public schools, secondary education is funded by the government.
In many parts of the country, the school term runs all the way from April to March the following years. However, there are some parts of the country that have their terms running from June to May or July to May.
How to improve the education system
- Introducing a new syllabus is one of the ways to improve the education system.
- By educating parents, we can improve the quality of the education system as parents will encourage their children to attend school and get the most out of it.
- Establishing more technical educational institutions will help more students get jobs in a technologically advanced world.
- Teachers should be regularly trained to ensure that they offer high quality education to students.
- Fostering partnerships between public and private institutions will also improve the quality of education offered by public institutions as not everyone can afford private education.
- There should also be more focus on rural schools. This is because most people in India reside in rural areas and hence improving the education there will be beneficial to many.
Education is very important towards the growth of a person and the growth of the society and country at large. Governments should ensure that they regularly improve the structure of their education systems to make sure that their students are able to compete in the dynamic job market.