Functions of Political Party:
- Political Parties Contest Flections: Elections are fought mainly between candidates put forth by political parties. These parties have different policies and programmes, and the voters choose from them.
- Parties Make Laws: In every country, parties play a decisive role in making laws. Legislation is debated and passed in the legislature.
- Parties Form and Run Governments: The political executive takes big policy decisions that come from political parties.
- Role of Opposition: Those parties that lose in the elections are opposed to the parties in power by voicing different opinions and criticizing the government.
- Parties Shape Public Opinions: They raise and highlight issues. Sometimes they launch movements for the resolution of problems faced by people. They assist people in accessing government machinery and welfare schemes. It is very easy for an ordinary citizen to approach a local party leader than a government officer.