Rainwater harvesting is the use of rainwater flowing through river or stream water more effectively by set-up of Check Dams.
Rainwater harvesting is used by households in the form of collecting roofs or other devices that collect, store and reuse rainwater for daily purposes.
Rainwater harvesting can be a social or national policy for Water Conservation for an entire population.
What is the main purpose of rainwater harvesting?
The main purpose of Rainwater Harvesting is to collect and conserve rainwater; and to treat and recycle it for human use and consumption. This rainwater would otherwise be wasted.
How is rainwater harvesting done?
The estimation stage uses digital and online tools to evaluate the water needs and the volume of rainwater that can be harvested. This gives a realistic estimate of what to plan for. The equipment for rainwater harvesting is mostly divided into three stages:
- The Collection Point: Collection Roofs or other modern equipment like Rain saucer, Water box, etc. are installed at appropriate places.
- The Water Tank: The Collection point or points are connected to a Water Tank of a sufficiently planned capacity.
- The Plumbing System: The Water tank is connected via new connections to the Plumbing System of the house.
Types, Uses of Rainwater harvesting
Catchment roofs, modern devices like Rain saucers, Check Dams, etc. are various types of Rainwater Harvesting. There are multiple uses of Rainwater Harvesting but broadly they can be categorized as follows:
- In times of emergency like water shortage, drought or cut-down of supply of normal water, harvested Rainwater can be used by households and communities to take care of their daily water needs.
- In some countries, Rainwater Harvesting is included in the normal Water Supply System, and harvested Rainwater is treated and routinely used to supplement the supply of Clean Water to the population.
- Many countries use Rainwater harvesting routinely for their Agriculture needs.
- Many industries use harvested Rainwater to take care of secondary uses like in toilets, air-conditioning, cleaning, etc.
- Harvested Rainwater can be properly treated and also used for drinking purposes.
Rainwater harvesting is a simple and direct remedy for a global problem of Water Conservation today.