Time can be referred to as the continuous progress of events and happenings as they happen from the past to the present and to the future.
It is a form of measurement that is used to measure the duration taken by an event or the interval between two events.
Time is a very important factor as it is one of the things that make the world as it is today. Time has been used for thousands of years although the method of telling time has advanced over time.
Ways of telling time
- The most common way of telling time is using a clock or a watch. This one has three ‘hands’ that rotate on the face of the clock and their position can be used to depict time. This is the modern way of telling time.
- If you do not have a clock, you can use the sun to tell time. You can do this by holding out your hand in a horizontal manner directly aligning it with the ground and sky. Stack one hand on top of the other until you have a view where your hand reaches the bottom of the sun. Count the number of fingers in total that you have used to get to the sun’s height. Each finger represents a total of fifteen minutes and the total will be number of minutes that are remaining until sunset.
- Other people also use shadows to tell time. A shadow is believed to be at its longest in the morning or in the evening while it is believed to be its shortest around midday. Through this method however, you cannot get the exact time.
- An hour glass is also an instrument used to tell time. This one contains sand that streams sand continuously and if the sand on the top side ends, it signifies an hour has passed after which you can overturn the hourglass for the process to start all over again.
Management: How to manage time?
- The first way of managing time is having priorities. You should have a list where you list the things that are more important to you and those that are least important. Doing the most important things first will give you more time to do the less important things.
- You can also manage time by planning ahead. This will give you a clear outline of the things that you are supposed to do and staying organized will also motivate you to handle your tasks.
- Another way of managing time is getting rid of distractions. This involves handling your tasks away from people or activities that will make you lose concentration on what you are doing.
- You should also ensure that you take breaks when working. This is to ensure that you are in a refreshed state of mind the whole day which will make you handle your tasks more effectively.
- If you are easily distracted and you have a poor habit in time management, you can get a mentor to guide you and offer you tips on how you can best manage your time.
- Every morning, you can meditate and exercise which will give you the mental balance that you will need to handle the day’s tasks.
Importance of time management
- Time management is very important since time is a resource that cannot be gotten back. Time wasted cannot be recovered and you hence you have to make the most out of the time that you have.
- Time management is also important since it helps you achieve more. By managing your time properly, you will have more time to handle all your tasks.
- You will also be able to make better choices when you manage your time well. This is because you will eliminate the rush that comes out of being late or being anxious to complete a task.
- Good time management will also help you set a balance in your life. You will be able to concentrate on every aspect of your life whether its work, school or family.
- Good time management also eliminates states of stress and depression. This is because you will get rid of the pressure of felling overworked or overburdened.
Time is a very useful resource that is freely given to each and every one of us. We all have an equal amount of time either in a day or in a night. Those who achieve success are those who best mange the time that they have. Through managing your time properly, you are guaranteed of a more fulfilled life.